Saturday, February 15, 2014

And then I turned on the TV

I've read many an article recently about how horrible this winter has been. Our house has not escaped from the misery. Colds, RSV and the stomach bug. Recent snow days have been filled with me attempting to work from home while also attempting to care for sick kiddos and sanitize everything. I've tried so hard to manage everything. But in the midst of some rough deadlines at work, Mother Nature  dumped over a foot of snow on us this week and along with it came Penny's turn with the stomach bug. Poor kiddo! I reached my breaking point and turned on the tv. She watched Cinderella, Doc McStuffins, Sophia the First, Thomas, Barney, Sid the Science Kid, Sesame Street and Peg and Cat. She thoroughly enjoyed all the shows her friends talk about that her weird mom never lets her watch.  It kept her in one spot, which meant I had less places to thoroughly sanitize (let's be honest- I use Method cleaners, but Clorox made a reappearance for the past two weeks to help get rid of all the germs).
And she's totally fine. Slept well through the second half of the night and woke up asking to eat and drink. And, for more ice pops! 
We tried to keep her away from Porter on Friday too, which meant she got to watch a few more shows. 
While I'm certainly happy to get back to tv-free play time and to stop fighting germ warfare around here, I'm realizing that it's not terrible for her to watch a bit here and there. Everything in moderation, right. I'm usually an all or nothing kind of girl. But just as my "no fruit snacks" mentality means she mooches a few from friends at school every now and again, I've got to start realizing that she doesn't live in a bubble. Giving her choices and setting her up to make the best choices is my aim. It's a work in process. I'm a work in process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment